The stArt Award is the international illustration competition for up-and-coming illustrators.
Since 2006 more then 1.000 illustrators took part and made illustrations within a theme.
The best works were published in the BoekieBoekie: a magazine for children.
Dreaming of a career as children’s book illustrator? Join the stArt Award!
You can register here.
We’re looking forward to see your work!
If you are working as a professional illustrator more than 5 years, you are not considered a debutant and are not eligible to enter the competition.
Joining the stArt Award can give your career as illustrator a boost. The assignments are a source of inspiration and will show you another way to approach your work.
If you’re the winner or one of the nominees your illustration will be published in the publications of BoekieBoekie and / or be promoted on social media and presented at international book fairs and festivals .
Yes, to join the stArt Award you have to pay a registration fee.
In the webshop you will find the exact entry costs.
With the benefits we can organize this competition for up-and-coming illustrators and promote their work.
The artwork of the winners and the nominees will get a place of honor in the BoekieBoekie annual and will receive a certificate.
The stArt Award winner will receive € 750 and the winner of the children’s jury € 500.
You have to provide a minimum of 5 illustrations, which you present as a mini-edition of BoekieBoekie.
After registration you will receive two PDF-files: one with the texts to illustrate and one with pratical information & inspiration.
If you are one of the nominees your artwork will be published in the next edition of BoekieBoekie. This means that your illustrations have to be print proof. Keep this instruction in mind, while making your artwork.
This guideline is especially made for BoekieBoekie by Marc Gijzen (digital lithographer*). If you work for another publisher, please ask for their guideline beforehand. That might save you a lot of time.
Please use a professional scanner only and not your phone.
That what you see on your computer screen is not the same as an illustration in print.
There can be a big difference between your original or digital illustration and the printed version.
Do not forget to calibrate your computer screen.
- PSD or TIFF (Separate in layers if your artwork is a combination of text and image.)
- Resolution 300 dpi on used image format / output format minimum A4
- RGB with included colorprofile (sRGB of Adobe 98 of camera-rgb, any profile will do, but please include one)
- PLEASE DO NOT convert to CMYK, but use RGB only
Practical information about colormanagement and profiles (advanced)
TIP: Use CMYK preview in Photoshop (key shortcut: cmd Y). This way you can see what you can expect if printed
Important use the right color settings:
- Use: Menu > edit > colorsettings
- Choose setting: “Europa, Prepress 3” or “Europa, for print”
- Other option: use “Coated FOGRA 39”
- For more information check: www.eci.org
*Marc Gijzen works for & with BoekieBoekie since 1988!
The professional jury and the children’s jury both judge all the works according the following stArt Award criteria:
- Professional – suitable for target audience: the readers of BoekieBoekie age group: 8-13
- Technical mastery
- Constant high quality
- Communicative: does it have an impact on the reader: amuse, astonish, frighten
- Believable: does the image combine with the text
- Appealing: does it draw you in, do you read further
- Intriguing: do you keep looking, is there more to see.
- Depth: is it more than just illustrative. Did the illustrator add something.
- Own style and handwriting – creative capacity
- Original: innovative – surprising
If you are one of the nominees your artwork will be published in the next edition of BoekieBoekie. Please follow the guidelines as explained in FAQ : How to make your artwork print proof.
Mail your entry for the stArt Award as a pdf and give the file the following name:
- Your first-last name
- Title text
- Abbreviation of the academy and country
- Is the work a scan or digital
- Sequence number (when multiple images)
Example: EricSmith-Sirene1- digi-Pars-VS.psd
Mail your work only by using:
NOTE: Upload all your images in one transfer only!
Good luck and we’re looking forward to download your work!
There are many reasons why you have to submit your work by using this link only:
https://boekieboekie.wetransfer.com, but the most important are:
- If we download your work you will get a notification.
- If you do not get a notification, you know: something went wrong.
Your mail got lost in cyberspace or we oversaw it. Sometimes we get more then a hundred mails on one day.
- The link boekieboekie.wetransfer.com stays longer valid, then the standard link of wetransfer.
If the download did not come through, or if something went wrong we have more time to download your work again.